New forum fantasy RPG campaign?

Go to page: 12345
Forum » Out of Character Discussions » New forum fantasy RPG campaign?

Sméagol – The sponsor monster

These ads shown here are to sponsor Radio Rivendell

Sapient
Soldier (Level 12)
2268 XP

Ok, I've got three pages up for my character. Let me know if I missed anything.

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

Posted by SapientOk, I've got three pages up for my character. Let me know if I missed anything.

Didn't notice anything crucial missing.

We're almost ready to begin. I've sent suggestions to Ioanna and Sapient on where their characters might start their adventure - once we've agreed on that I'll write the first post (Werwolf and I already have an arrangement).

A committed user and abuser of roleplaying games. Based in Oulu, Finland.

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2192 XP

There are a couple of things I'd like to be sure about or to know your thoughts about.

How do we handle languages between characters? Is there a common one, that everyone speaks, because there is no other or do we all have our native tongue as well as a common one (like, for bartering between species)?

How deep do we go into the details of our characters actions?

Baring an intervention by you, MuadMouse, and being destructive on the harmony of the game, we are free to do our part in creating the world Maailma as we go on in the game. Is that right?

"Games are an interesting diversion from everyday life. Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company, you don't even mind you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game." Gary Gygax

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

Yep, this is the time to set our ground rules.

Language

There is a trade pidgin that just about anyone can understand and use at a basic level just by knowing any non-secret language. This goes by many names, including Chatter, Common, and Trade Tongue. No one speaks this as their native language, though.

The occupants of Taikasaari speak Islish (also known as Saarikieli by the snobbish), a widely spread language spoken by most merchants, travelers, academics and diplomats. Its stature is similar to that of English in our world. It is a fairly old language derived from Kieli, the Ancient Tongue, to which it bears about as much similarity as English bears to Latin (i.e. many similar words but different grammar).

Player characters are assumed to be at least conversant in Islish. If their background would reasonably afford them competence with another language they encounter during the game, so be it. If you want to add languages to your character sheets beforehand, go right ahead, but it is by no means required.

Equipment

Your character will start the game with whatever gear makes sense for them to be carrying. I will not require a detailed inventory. As long as no character pulls out implausibly bulky or exotic items, I'm okay with it. I trust in your sense of drama and fair play.

Rounds, turns, and scheduling

We'll do at least two rounds per week. A round consists of each player taking a turn by stating their character's intent in the situation, and my response to these, which describes what ends up happening and how the situation has changed. You may elaborate on your character's actions as much as you think appropriate, but it is important to remember that only with my response can the situation change. If you want to add detail to the resolution, you can describe that at the start of your next turn.

Here's a sample of a good turn text:

"My face goes blank and freeze for a moment as I see my beloved fall to the ground, allowing the bodyguard the perfect opportunity to tackle me so. Enraged and heedless of pain, screaming my beloved's name, I reach for my dagger to stab it into my enemy's back as many times as it takes to kill him." It starts with a reaction to the previous resolution and concludes with a clear objective for the round without stating an outcome.

I've set myself response deadlines for Wednesday and Sunday nights every week. On those nights, whether or not everyone has taken a turn for the round, I will write a response. If everyone has written their turns earlier I may of course respond ahead of schedule. If someone misses a turn, their character will be passive and focus on self-preservation; miss two turns and I'll try to get in touch with you to see if your character should be written out temporarily; after the third missed turn I'll probably write the character out of the story until I'm contacted. If you know beforehand that you won't be able to participate for a time, let me know and we'll figure out a way to write your character out for the while.

Note that this turn structure only applies in dynamic situations where you're dealing with an immediate challenge. If your characters are in a situation where they can interact freely, go ahead and talk amongst yourselves as much as you want! I consider developing character relationships no less important to the story than any plot I may have in mind. When it comes to pacing dialogue, I liked what we developed in The Bards Ale Tavern thread.

Adding to the world

The neatest, most organic way of contributing to the world is by having your character bring something up in the game. For example, if your character succeeds at something, you can state what in their background allowed them to do so: "I parried the enemy's swing with the Sweeping Snake maneuver a Carithian swordsman had taught me while traveling from Spikewall to Reekfort" would be perfectly appropriate, and would spawn wiki entries for 'Carithia', 'Carithian swordsmanship', 'Spikewall', and 'Reekfort'. However, when writing wiki entries, do not go into too much detail - a sentence or two should be enough for a first mention.

I cannot stress enough the need to keep things intentionally a bit vague until they are encountered directly in the game. We need to leave each other room so they can add to things of our own creation. Of course, since everything characters bring up is necessarily down to their personal interpretations, this shouldn't be a problem.

I expect it to take a while for us to find a common tune when it comes to this matter, but I'm sure we'll figure out what works best.

If there's something you'd like to see added to the world but don't have a convenient way of introducing it through your character, go to the Suggestions page and present it there.

Okay, this post stretched out a bit. If there's anything you're unclear or uneasy about, please let me know. My presentation may have suffered from the lateness of the hour.

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2192 XP

Posted by MuadMouseI will not require a detailed inventory.

Posted by MuadMouseI cannot stress enough the need to keep things intentionally a bit vague until they are encountered directly in the game. We need to leave each other room so they can add to things of our own creation. Of course, since everything characters bring up is necessarily down to their personal interpretations, this shouldn't be a problem.

Erm ... uups. I'm sorry. I get carried away fast & far when I've chosen a concept for a species or a character.

Posted by MuadMouseRounds, turns, and schedulingWhen it comes to pacing dialogue, I liked what we developed in The Bards Ale Tavern thread.

It reads very nice. And it answered my unasked question, about "adults" words and cursing.

"Games are an interesting diversion from everyday life. Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company, you don't even mind you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game." Gary Gygax

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

Posted by WerwolfErm ... uups. I'm sorry. I get carried away fast & far when I've chosen a concept for a species or a character.

That's not a problem at this stage, Maailma stood some fleshing out.

And it answered my unasked question, about "adults" words and cursing.

Oh right, that. Since we're playing on Radio Rivendell, let's respect the tone of the place and keep things fairly family friendly. I doubt that's ever going to be a problem.

I'll write the first post today.

Ioanna
Master (Level 23)
15932 XP

Posted by MuadMouseI'll write the first post today.

Hooray!!

I look forward to it!!!

I have a banning whip and I 'm not afraid to use it! *I am bluffing*

jewellersapprentice.wordpress.com

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

The game is afoot! See the After The Fall thread.

For sake of clarity let's move out-of-character discussion to the OOC thread.