Radio Rivendell - The Next Chapter

Go to page: 178
Forum » Coming attractions » Radio Rivendell - The Next Chapter

Truthseer
Master (Level 23)
15724 XP

Posted by ElrondTo speed things up, are we all accepting a temporary step back in functionality to get the new site up and running? In order to get a version 1.0 and get this slow wagon moving, I think it would be better get something smaller rather than getting it all at once (which probably won't happen too quickly).What do you think? Radio, rating music, XP and forums will be intact of course.

Indeed this is acceptable to me! In fact, I'd say the things you state will remain intact are the primary features that have been used for quite same time. I'm sure most people would rather have those basics, and then add the other bells and whistles as you can. I'd rather have a well-tested environment (both from developers and users) than a big-bang project that may have features that don't get used much anyway. Incremental adds are best, in my opinion.

Arclayn
Citizen (Level 8)
803 XP

Posted by ElrondTo speed things up, are we all accepting a temporary step back in functionality to get the new site up and running? In order to get a version 1.0 and get this slow wagon moving, I think it would be better get something smaller rather than getting it all at once (which probably won't happen too quickly).What do you think? Radio, rating music, XP and forums will be intact of course.

I also concur. You need to take into account your own resources and time available, and work on what's essential before what's nice to have. Don't over-do it, or else you'll end up in development hell or with something half-baked. Or worse. I've witnessed firsthand what happens when developers "want it all" and have far too few resources/time/experience. The result ends up being an epic trainwreck. So please -- pace yourself properly so you can do good work. The rest certainly can come later.

"What if everything you see is more than what you see — the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it is really a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." — Shigeru Miyamoto

Elrond
Living Legend (Level 32)
41993 XP

Excellent then!

I completely know what can happen if you aim too high, I've been working on a reboot for 3-4 years now without getting it finished. So I'll scale down and we'll get the things we need the most (1. radio, 2. forum, 3. music rating) up and running. Then we'll add things as we go. Perhaps with voting and cheers and screams from you guys on what we'd like/need to have

Friggin Lord Elrond!

Ioanna
Champion (Level 24)
16068 XP

I am no developer but i am great at voting and cheers and screams

I have a whip of banning (+3magic) and I 'm not afraid to use it!

*I am bluffing*

Alanar Raskinn
Militia (Level 11)
1717 XP

As long as I can feed the music in to my Clementine player, do what U must Elrond

Elrond
Living Legend (Level 32)
41993 XP

One of the biggest goals with a serious update would be to add more tools and rules to prevent spam. I think I'll prevent forum posting unless you reach a certain level. That will probably defeat most of the bots and evil people.

Friggin Lord Elrond!

Arclayn
Citizen (Level 8)
803 XP

Posted by ElrondOne of the biggest goals with a serious update would be to add more tools and rules to prevent spam. I think I'll prevent forum posting unless you reach a certain level. That will probably defeat most of the bots and evil people.

Could you use Google's ReCaptcha?

https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/v3beta.html

"What if everything you see is more than what you see — the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it is really a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." — Shigeru Miyamoto

Elrond
Living Legend (Level 32)
41993 XP

I definitely will use ReCaptcha!

I will also prevent forum and comment posting for all new accounts until you have proven yourself a bit first too.

Every time I see this spam it reminds me of how much I really need to focus on to get the new site up and running!

Friggin Lord Elrond!

Vinnie johnson
Colonist (Level 7)
732 XP

Posted by ElrondRegarding the logo image.. A grammophone or harp sounds great! Perhaps a harp will look great? Or will we be too similar to Guinness?

I agree harp or luth

Vinnie johnson
Colonist (Level 7)
732 XP

perhaps the music player can take the same image than the logo.

Sméagol – The sponsor monster

These ads shown here are to sponsor Radio Rivendell

Vinnie johnson
Colonist (Level 7)
732 XP

i find this picture of radio nice