Ted Nasmith interview!

Forum » Help Radio Rivendell! » Ted Nasmith interview!

Elrond
Living Legend (Level 32)
42287 XP

Hello all!

The fabulously talented artist Ted Nasmith has been in touch with us (he's even registered) and will bring his music to us as well! Furthermore he has agreed on an e-mail interview! So rub your brains and get your questions ready!

Ted has done many fantastic painting ranging from Lord of the Rings to George R.R. Martin as well as architecture and automotive. And he's composed music too!

Ted Nasmith's official site: www.tednasmith.com/

Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Nasmith

Friggin Lord Elrond!

c0c0c0
Royal Guard (Level 15)
4629 XP

Nice snag, FLE!

grey is an IT guy living outside Atlanta. He like gentle rains, long walks, and smacking spammers with a ban hammer. He also likes referring to himself in the third person.

Lilu Olnathron
Royal Guard (Level 15)
4542 XP

That is awesome news, Elrond! I'll try to think of some questions

"Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

Lilu Olnathron
Royal Guard (Level 15)
4542 XP

Right, here we go! I have deliberately skirted around his declination of working with New Line as I was not sure how comfortable he would be about talking about this. Once we get more questions in, I'd be happy to add some intro blurb and edit things so the interview flows nicely.

On average, how many hours does it take you to complete a piece?

Could you describe the process, from imaginings to finishing touches?

When did you decide that you would like to become an artist?

Did you go to art school?

Your style reminds me of the Pre-Raphaelite movement. Did this, or any other style influence you, or did it just come naturally?

Have you always been a Tolkienite, and if so, how has it affected your life?

You are one of the lucky people to have had direct correspondence with the great man himself, J.R.R. Tolkien, when you sent him one of your illustrations a year before his death in 1972. How did it feel to get feedback from him?

When you illustrated the 1996 hardback release of the Silmarillion, was it difficult to choose which scenes to illustrate or did the choices come easily?

How did collaborating with Christopher Tolkien affect your work?

Describe your studio, does it look like a Hobbit hole?

Are there any pieces that you are more fond of than others?

Although you are best known for your Tolkien inspired artwork, you have illustrated many other works including The Dream of Aengus, and children’s books. Do you enjoy getting a variety of projects?

You are working on a series of illustrations for the George R.R. Martin series, A Song of Fire and Ice. Can you tell us more about this?

You are considered quite the scholar, being involved with the Tolkien Society, The Mythopoeic Society, and Mensa’s Beyond Bree. Are there any papers or presentations from you we should look out for?

You are also a musician! Is there no end to your talents? Can you tell us a bit about your 2007 release, The Hidden Door: Songs in the Key of Enchantment?

You worked on Beren and Lúthien: A Song Cycle with Alex Lewis. Did you enjoy bringing this tale to life through music?

Do you listen to music whilst you paint, and if so, what sort of tracks inspire you?

Can we expect to see any more musical releases from you?

Elrond
Living Legend (Level 32)
42287 XP

Wonderful Lilu!

Any others got anything to contribute? Anything else we want to ask about?

Ted is a really nice chap by the way!

Friggin Lord Elrond!

Ioanna
Champion (Level 24)
16078 XP

The best question so far is whether his studio looks like a hobbit hole...

I would also want him to give some short answers on a game...

Something like "Give me the first word that comes to your mind when you hear:"

"Tolkien"

"Galadriel" (by the way the paintings he made of her are just divine)

"Music"

"Fairytale"

"Award"

"France"

And the list could go on and on... But you get the point, it could be a name, a location, I don't know... even a colour...

I have a whip of banning (+3magic) and I 'm not afraid to use it!

*I am bluffing*

Elrond
Living Legend (Level 32)
42287 XP

Great idea Ioanna! Lilu, can you get this into your set of questions?

Friggin Lord Elrond!

Lilu Olnathron
Royal Guard (Level 15)
4542 XP

Of course! What a great idea, I am sure it will make Ted smile. Thanks Ioanna! Here is v2:

We are very fortunate to have had the opportunity to interview Ted Nasmith, renowned illustrator, scholar, and musician. Best known for his works portraying the Silmarillion and the Lord of the Rings, Ted has allowed Radio Rivendell to delve into his creative world. Thanks for agreeing to this, it is a great honour!

On average, how many hours does it take you to complete a piece?

Could you describe the process, from imaginings to finishing touches?

When did you decide that you would like to become an artist?

Your style reminds me of the Pre-Raphaelite movement. Did this, or any other style influence you, or did it just come naturally?

Have you always been a Tolkienite, and if so, how has it affected your life?

You are one of the lucky people to have had direct correspondence with the great man himself, J.R.R. Tolkien, when you sent him one of your illustrations a year before his death in 1972. How did it feel to get feedback from him?

When you illustrated the 1996 hardback release of the Silmarillion, was it difficult to choose which scenes to illustrate or did the choices come easily?

How did collaborating with Christopher Tolkien affect your work?

Describe your studio, does it look like a Hobbit hole?

Are there any pieces that you are more fond of than others?

Although you are best known for your Tolkien inspired artwork, you have illustrated many other works including The Dream of Aengus, and children’s books. Do you enjoy getting a variety of projects?

You are working on a series of illustrations for the George R.R. Martin series, A Song of Fire and Ice. Can you tell us more about this?

You are considered quite the scholar, being involved with the Tolkien Society, The Mythopoeic Society, and Mensa’s Beyond Bree. Are there any papers or presentations from you we should look out for?

You are also a musician! Is there no end to your talents? Can you tell us a bit about your 2007 release, The Hidden Door: Songs in the Key of Enchantment?

You worked on Beren and Lúthien: A Song Cycle with Alex Lewis. Did you enjoy bringing this tale to life through music?

Do you listen to music whilst you paint, and if so, what sort of tracks inspire you?

Can we expect to see any more musical releases from you?

Finally, just for fun, we'd like to play a little word association game with you! Tell us the first word or thing that pops into your head when you see the following words:

Tolkien

Galadriel

Music

Fairytale

Award

France

Crackers

Ferrets

Elevenses

Thank you, Ted. We wish you all the best with your work.

Sméagol – The sponsor monster

These ads shown here are to sponsor Radio Rivendell

Ioanna
Champion (Level 24)
16078 XP

I am glad you liked my idea!

I have a whip of banning (+3magic) and I 'm not afraid to use it!

*I am bluffing*