Forum » Roleplaying Games » Dungeon Delving Music

Dungeon Delving Music

Roleplaying Games
Vault13Dweller
Hobo – Lvl 1

27 XP

Hi there! I'm a dungeon master who likes to have sountracks playing for my D&D sessions, and right now I have three different playlists, Combat music, ambiance in civilization, and ambiance in the wilderness (it's a Dark Sun campaign, so the PC's will spend time in both). But I'm also looking to make a playlist filled with music that's appropriate ambiance when the players are exploring ruins, caves, and dungeons; filled with creepy or eerie quiet music. But I'm having trouble finding it. Does anybody have any recommendations?
Kulmek Hammer-Song
Distinguished Citizen – Lvl 9

1291 XP

This is great. What is some of the music in your playlists?
Vault13Dweller
Hobo – Lvl 1

27 XP

Posted by Kulmek Hammer-SongThis is great. What is some of the music in your playlists?

Right now, my playlists consist of songs from the movies Gladiator, Dune, Children of Dune Conan the Barbarian, and from the video games Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Fallout, The Witcher, and The Witcher 2.

Updated 25 July 2012 (18:18)

Kulmek Hammer-Song

1291 XP

Awesome choices. Look into Skyrim and Kingdoms of Amalur for some music as well.
jumaj

1250 XP

Morrowind has awesome music too, but it does not beat the nearly-godliness of Daggerfall music, when you have it in high quality.
Kulmek Hammer-Song

1291 XP

Also, great music!
Ioanna
Rank (male) – Lvl 1

16122 XP

When I think creepy Arcana pops to my mind.... dungeons music and quiet pieces?? hmmmm... we have it all here... you can also download free tracks in community-> download free music, I think if you search a bit there you will find something usefull

Updated 27 July 2012 (09:24)

I have a whip of banning (+3magic) and I 'm not afraid to use it!
    *I am bluffing*
Barles

1172 XP

Nox Arcana comes to mind for me as well. They seem to release an album almost every year since 2001, and between them, there's music suitable for every situation that isn't meant to set the players at ease or evoke positive emotions (though there are a handful that do). The music often enough evokes music from different cultures as well, so there's good variety in that respect. Midnight Syndicate is similar to Nox. In fact, I think Nox was formed by a former member of MIdnight Syndicate.

Updated 2 February 2013 (09:58)

MuadMouse
Captain – Lvl 20

11544 XP

Nox Arcana has seen a good bit of use by me as well. Cubicle 7 has posted a bunch of eerie background music for The One Ring RPG on YouTube, and they give explicit permission to make audio copies for personal use. You can find the playlist at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL58275DC5EC3EABD8. It's first rate stuff! The Torchlight 2 OST (by Matt Uelmen) is available for free online (http://www.torchlight2game.com/news/2012/09/18/the-torchlight-ii-soundtrack/), and that's my current suspenseful background music for fantasy RPGs, along with the Divine Divinity soundtrack (by Kirill Pokrovsky), also made available for free by the composer (see 'Community' -> 'Download Free Music' above for a link). Both composers are certainly familiar to listeners of Radio Rivendell. I have a few go-to albums in my CD collection when it comes to fantasy RPG music: Mike Oldfield's Voyager and Incantations for general, mostly rural background (not optimal for Dark Sun, though); Vangelis' El Greco for subtle magnificence (the soundtracks to 1492 and Alexander are great, but too dramatic for my background music tastes), Apocalyptica's Cult for action scenes, and the soundtrack to Bram Stoker's Dracula for suspense. For mind-bending ambience I pop in some Klaus Schulze (Irrlicht, Timewind, Blackdance) and watch my players quietly freak out. May your players squirm!
A committed user and abuser of roleplaying games. Based in Oulu, Finland.
Rank (male) – Lvl 1

3599 XP

Elder scroll oblivion, Ultima VII The black Gate, And Ultima Serpent isle. Berserk soundtrack.."Gatts theme" and "Earth" from that soundtrack!!