[Workaround][Linux] Stream stopping suddenly

Forum » Errors & Problems » [Workaround][Linux] Stream stopping suddenly

Teisei
Parolee (Level 2)
66 XP

Dear Linux users of Rivendell,

I for one have experienced issues with the Rivendell music stream (i.e. random stops), so here is a simple workaround I came up with. First of all you need to install a media player called 'mpv' (useful in many other cases in addition to this). In *buntu and its derivatives this can be done by running a command 'sudo apt install mpv'. Once installed, run the following command (in terminal) to play the stream:

while true; do mpv http://radiorivendell.ddns.net:8000/128kbit.mp3; sleep 1; done

This command is a simple infinite loop that plays the music stream even if the stream keeps cutting for some reason. If you want to stop listening, just close the terminal that the command was executed in.

Best Regards,

Teisei

Arclayn
Colonist (Level 7)
673 XP

Posted by TeiseiDear Linux users of Rivendell,I for one have experienced issues with the Rivendell music stream (i.e. random stops), so here is a simple workaround I came up with. First of all you need to install a media player called 'mpv' (useful in many other cases in addition to this). In *buntu and its derivatives this can be done by running a command 'sudo apt install mpv'. Once installed, run the following command (in terminal) to play the stream:while true; do mpv http://radiorivendell.ddns.net:8000/128kbit.mp3; sleep 1; doneThis command is a simple infinite loop that plays the music stream even if the stream keeps cutting for some reason. If you want to stop listening, just close the terminal that the command was executed in.Best Regards,Teisei

This is a command-line solution that is parallel to a workaround I mentioned in a comment to a front-page announcement.

... The workaround I have found is to set VLC to "repeat one" and then it will keep trying to reconnect, and it does for the next song. ...

Many (most?) Linux users love to live on the command line (like my officemate/sysadmin). But for those (lazy?) few of us who prefer GUI, using VLC on "repeat one" should be OK. For me, it has been OK on Mac and Windows, at least. "Repeat one" has the same logical effect as the command line Teisei mentions (keep loading/playing this MP3 source ad infinitum). Lately the stream has been a lot better about disconnects, but they still happen, albeit infrequently. So whether you're on command line Linux or GUI (like VLC), this is good advice to keep around.

VLC is free and open source, and it is readily available for Linux.

"What if everything you see is more than what you see — the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it is really a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." — Shigeru Miyamoto

Elrond
Living Legend (Level 32)
41644 XP

I'll do some server updates and see if that helps things.

Friggin Lord Elrond!

Khazar-Khum
Guard (Level 14)
4179 XP

I can't get VLC to run without opening my computer to potential risks. Any ideas?

Sméagol – The sponsor monster

These ads shown here are to sponsor Radio Rivendell

Arclayn
Colonist (Level 7)
673 XP

Posted by Khazar-KhumI can't get VLC to run without opening my computer to potential risks. Any ideas?

What "potential risks" are you talking about? But nearly any music/media player will do -- you don't have to use VLC.

"What if everything you see is more than what you see — the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it is really a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." — Shigeru Miyamoto