Gaming on Linux

Forum » Computer Games » Gaming on Linux

NobleZack
Serf (Level 4)
187 XP

Do we have any Linux Gamers on here? If so what are some good games that you would recommend. Preferably in the fantasy genre!

Elrond
Living Legend (Level 32)
41600 XP

I'd be interested in hearing about this as well Didn't LOTRO used to have an official game client that worked in Linux. But that's all I know

Friggin Lord Elrond!

Alanar Raskinn
Yeoman (Level 10)
1681 XP

I prefer using linux for everything , but don't have much time for games right now. I did play WoW a few times through linux , and Chromium BSU , and some Mario clones . Best thing Ive seen so far is probably Trine/Trine2

BUt mostly I'm doing the Blender/ Gimp/ Libre Office type things

Arclayn
Freeman (Level 6)
481 XP

Both Steam and GOG now have a decent selection of Linux playable games. But this is primarily Debian territory (and its forks like Ubuntu, Mint, and SteamOS).

"What if everything you see is more than what you see — the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it is really a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." — Shigeru Miyamoto

Lief Fletcher
Parolee (Level 2)
62 XP

I've recently got into linux but I've kept Windows as a dual boot just for the games. While a lot of good games are ported to linux (Pillars of Eternity for example!) Windows still has the biggest collection.

Sméagol – The sponsor monster

These ads shown here are to sponsor Radio Rivendell

Teisei
Hobo (Level 1)
40 XP

I prefer Linux (Kubuntu) over Windows (10) although I have both of them installed in a dual-boot configuration. I use Windows mainly to play World of Warcraft while I prefer to do everything else in Linux. I am quite happy that the gaming on Linux has come a long way since, say, 5 years ago. Valve with its Steam platform is obviously a big player here while other big ones like EA and Blizzard are still rather hesitant to make their games available for Linux. Fortunately game engines are steadily becoming multi-platform (including Linux!) meaning that it is possible that we will see more and more so-called "AAA-games" on Linux in the future. I am also quite excited about Vulkan which is also a big thing in the field of Linux (or multi-platform) gaming.