Go to page: 1234Next
Forum » General Music » Introducing fantasy music to kids

Sméagol – The sponsor monster

These ads shown here are to sponsor Radio Rivendell

Ioanna
Champion (Level 24)
16078 XP

Oh I almost forgot!!

Now I am working on something else... It is still incomplete and I think you could help.

Here is my thought: Since I would want him to broaden his mind and be receptive to all kinds of music I should give him a taste of other culture's music. But music itself might not catch his attention... Or he may get bored... So it would be better if I gathered videos (a certain wedsite could help on this matter). Yes videos with not only music but dances. Dances from around the world!! This way we could make fun of the gestures or even try to mimic them. This could become a game....

So far I have: Irish dancing, Flamengo, Indian Rain Dance, Geisha Dance, Hakka.... Ahhhh I need more...

I have a whip of banning (+3magic) and I 'm not afraid to use it!

*I am bluffing*

Elrond
Living Legend (Level 32)
42316 XP

You need belly dancing! That sure looks fun when you're a kid And if you shaolin kung fu also perhaps? It's very beautiful, though it has fighting elements in it of course, which could be bad for children.

Friggin Lord Elrond!

Ioanna
Champion (Level 24)
16078 XP

Belly dancing οf course!! Now about Shaolin kung fu hmmm, i don't know if it will work or how it will work...

Where is that neighbour's kid... I've got to babysit again...

*I am bluffing*

Elrond
Living Legend (Level 32)
42316 XP

Posted by IoannaWhere is that neighbour's kid... I've got to babysit again...

Haha, yeah, try out all the weird stuff on him first

Friggin Lord Elrond!

Kottsifjar
Soldier (Level 12)
2122 XP

Oh! Now I need to try that game also!!!

Happy that you are taking your godson in the right direction... I mean, ours! lol

I just gave my nephew a book for Xmas. Most of the family were telling me that I wasted my money 'cause he won't read. I just remember him saying that the Vikings "were awesum". So I got a copy of The Sleeping Army, by Francesca Simon, and there you are, he just sent me a message saying how cool the book is, and he's not going to bed until late because he stay up reading. So, I think, as you say, is up to them, but they certainly need someone to show them an alternate way

Info on the book, if you are interested:

http://www.francescasimon.com/pages/content/index.asp?PageID=177

Elrond
Living Legend (Level 32)
42316 XP

That's a really good way to get them to read more, just introduce the right book! Perhaps you just "tricked" him into wanting to read more, faster and better just because you gave him something he's interested in learning more about, not just some dull book "your supposed to read". And if it's fantasy related, the better!

Friggin Lord Elrond!

Ioanna
Champion (Level 24)
16078 XP

You guys... ^^

I am really glad that this thread turned out to be help not only to me but to us all!!!

By the way i still haven't find the opportunity to babysit the neighbour's kid....

*I am bluffing*

Lilu Olnathron
Royal Guard (Level 15)
4542 XP

Good going, Ioanna! Yes, it is a great idea for a thread, thank you!

My 4 month old had a cuddly dragon for Christmas (with rattley bits, teething rings, etc in it), and I managed to get the whole Audio Machine back catalogue, and listen to that, Jesper Kyd, Future World Music, The Immediate, and other similar artists during the day. She seems to like it, so I am hoping she will have a taste for Epic music when she gets older.

"Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

Ioanna
Champion (Level 24)
16078 XP

I found a jigsaw puzzle with a castle. It's (I think) 1200 pieces.... I like jigsaw puzzles I think they are great for the kids! There are also a few on-line, although it's better for them not have contact with computers....

http://www.dltk-kids.com/fantasy/fantasy_puzzles.htm

*I am bluffing*

PETITE VIKING
Peasant (Level 3)
222 XP

(sorry for my bad english) but I think , we can't force somebody to appreciate a kind of music but we can eduque him by knowledge of the basics of great music at first. I take my own exemple: I'm a musician, I play keyboard, drums since I'm 4 years old just by ear and I just have a violin since august 2011 'cause I love VIVALDI ! I have 3 brothers more ages of me I'm 41 years old, and each of them used to listening a different kind of music so I learned every kind of them to try to play and I had the knowledge of every style.with the time you make your choice of what you prefer I think it will be the same thing for your god son. let him discovering the fantasy music, teach him why at this moment in the song, the music his soft or wrong etc .... I will learn I'm sure

Ioanna
Champion (Level 24)
16078 XP

Yes I agree with you! I never said I would force anything, it's his choice alone. All I can do is show him paths that (let's face it) rarely are shown to kids his age and mostly just spend time with him.

So that one day he might turn his head to me and say "Hey do you remember when you came to the house and we played "Dragon fighters" under the table? I found my paper shield in the storeroom and it all came back to me."

*I am bluffing*

Lilu Olnathron
Royal Guard (Level 15)
4542 XP

Very true, Petite Viking! Our nipper seems to have developed a taste for Paradise Lost and The Specials! =D

"Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

Ioanna
Champion (Level 24)
16078 XP

Paradise Lost?? I love that baby!!

I know a kid that used to put every day an AC/DC live dvd to watch.

I think there is a research showing that it's very good for babies to hear lots kinds of music and sounds. Something to do with the brain function that increases. I will look into it.

*I am bluffing*

jenibluere
Peasant (Level 3)
128 XP

Posted by IoannaI like the fact that this thread turned into a "Fantasy and kids" section! I just found some coloring pages for my godson's sister. It's fairies( whatelse?). I liked the fact that they can be cut and turned into a bookmark. I might print some for me as well... http://selinafenech.com/about/free-for-fans/

that sounds great!

I might try that out with my elder son because he's just as into fantasy as me! we both love doing fantasy games and listening to musicso it sounds like a good activity thanks!

crayauchtin
Distinguished Citizen (Level 9)
1096 XP

I don't have kids (I don't even especially like most kids!) but my parents introduced me to it at a very young age.... probably by accident, I don't really remember -- I was very young!

Now I'm 24 and obsessed. So however you handle introducing the genre to your children BE CAREFUL!

I was first introduced by watching my older brother and my mom play King's Quest II: Romancing the Throne. Then my parents decided to read The Hobbit to me and sat me down to watch The Princess Bride and the Prince Valiant cartoon. Music didn't enter the picture until I was in my pre-teens and starting to develop an appreciation for different genres (not that I hadn't been hearing it, but it wasn't something we were making an effort for me to hear).

I think the trick is to tie the fantasy genre in with the interests of the child and expand on it from there. If the child is interested in music, they'll have a better appreciation for fantasy music. If they're interested in movies, use fantasy movies and then the soundtracks of those movies, etc.

But again, I don't have kids so my advice is questionable at best.

Kulmek Hammer-Song
Distinguished Citizen (Level 9)
1291 XP

I think that many kids movies have great music. You can always buy the soundtracks to those and have them playing when the kids can't actually watch the movie.

Azaelor
Peasant (Level 3)
131 XP

I'm reading "The Hobbit" to my 6 year old brother, with Radio Rivendell playing music in the background. I don't mention the music at all, but after our night of reading a bit he told me that he liked the "dungeon music" as he called it, hahaha

Ioanna
Champion (Level 24)
16078 XP

Posted by AzaelorI'm reading "The Hobbit" to my 6 year old brother, with Radio Rivendell playing music in the background. I don't mention the music at all, but after our night of reading a bit he told me that he liked the "dungeon music" as he called it, hahaha

Oh he is into fantasy already!!

*I am bluffing*

Brolom
Peasant (Level 5)
331 XP

Well... I spent a lot of time of my childhood reading books since my mother works as a literature teacher in a university and my stepfather is a poet, so my house is full of books.

I really liked to listen to the soundtracks of movies (Hans Zimmer, Clint Mansell, etc.) enough to be the my ''main genre'' in my exploration for music. And then I stumbled upon what I call ''Trailer Music'' (Music that is created specially for the trailers of the movies) and there I discovered Two Steps From Hell, Brand X Music, Future World Music, Audiomachine, Immediate Music, Epic Score, Globus. After that I found Power Metal and bands like Blind Guardian and Rhapsody of Fire.

Of course, theres also the music from videogames :3

And RR has a bit of everything of those since all of them are somehow related to fantasy.

(Sorry for the grammar, english is not my main language)

Elrond
Living Legend (Level 32)
42316 XP

Haha, excellent! "Dungeon Music", how cool is that!

Friggin Lord Elrond!