Player not playing

Forum » Errors & Problems » Player not playing

Cerulean Blue
Royal Guard (Level 15)
5076 XP

I'm having a problem with the player not playing at all, in fact it is the exact same problem as described in this forum thread;

https://www.radiorivendell.com/forum/3/4378/

Kitharis describes the problem exactly although I'm using Firefox 51.1.0 on Win 7 but have also tried the latest version of IE too with the same problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

Edit: Meant to say that I've tried changing servers too but none work.

Arclayn
Freeman (Level 6)
457 XP

This time, something does appear to be wrong with the web player. I just tried it on Firefox on Macintosh and same thing -- casting music spell just spins and spins. Interestingly, the web player is getting metadata even if it is not playing music.

Today, I've been listening via iTunes on Macintosh (as a stream). And just to be sure, I just tested VLC and that also worked OK. So whatever is going on, the web player seems to be having problems, but listening to RR as a stream via a media player is working A-OK. So there is an alternative option until Elrond has a chance to poke at the web player.

For anyone not familiar with using a media player -- many of them have an "open stream" or "open network" or "open URL" or similar option. Click RR website's option "Listen" (just "Listen" and not anything that appears below), and you should get a list of IP addresses and URLs that you can "open". Try one and see if it works out, and if not -- try the next.

Windows has Microsoft Media Player by default. Macintosh has iTunes. Ubuntu Linux has Rhythmbox. If you do not like the default option, you could alternatively download VideoLAN VLC, which is free and open source for all major platforms (including smartphones). https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Hope that helps.

"What if everything you see is more than what you see — the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it is really a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." — Shigeru Miyamoto

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2152 XP

Posted by ArclaynWindows has Microsoft Media Player by default. Macintosh has iTunes. Ubuntu Linux has Rhythmbox. If you do not like the default option, you could alternatively download VideoLAN VLC, which is free and open source for all major platforms (including smartphones). https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

The VideoLAN VLC also plays almost every kind of video/audio file there is. One exception being early RealPlayer-files.

Posted by ArclaynFor anyone not familiar with using a media player -- many of them have an "open stream" or "open network" or "open URL" or similar option. Click RR website's option "Listen" (just "Listen" and not anything that appears below), and you should get a list of IP addresses and URLs that you can "open". Try one and see if it works out, and if not -- try the next.

Thank you so much for this step-by-step guide! Literally for years I've been trying and failing to figure out, how to listen to RadioRivendell's music without interruptions due to a bad internet connection and other problems lurking around my computer's operating system and antivirus software. Even writing a m3u-file didn't help. Now I can continously listen to this station almost without any interruptions. Again, thank you so very much, Arclayn.

"Games are an interesting diversion from everyday life. Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company, you don't even mind you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game." Gary Gygax

Cerulean Blue
Royal Guard (Level 15)
5076 XP

Posted by ArclaynFor anyone not familiar with using a media player -- many of them have an "open stream" or "open network" or "open URL" or similar option. Click RR website's option "Listen" (just "Listen" and not anything that appears below), and you should get a list of IP addresses and URLs that you can "open". Try one and see if it works out, and if not -- try the next.Windows has Microsoft Media Player by default. Macintosh has iTunes. Ubuntu Linux has Rhythmbox. If you do not like the default option, you could alternatively download VideoLAN VLC, which is free and open source for all major platforms (including smartphones). https://www.videolan.org/vlc/Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions, I will go and grab VLC right now

Khazar-Khum
Guard (Level 14)
3987 XP

Hi all

It seems to be 'stuck' on a song and hasn't changed, and I can'r get any of the IPs to play.

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2152 XP

If you're using the VideoLAN VLC or some other media player you could try clicking the next/previous track-button. This has worked on my computer on most occasions and with several internet-radiostations.

"Games are an interesting diversion from everyday life. Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company, you don't even mind you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game." Gary Gygax

Khazar-Khum
Guard (Level 14)
3987 XP

That hasn't worked this time. it's just not buffering anf then playing.

Elrond
Living Legend (Level 32)
41542 XP

There have been problems with my internet connection to the main server the last week, so it could also be due to that. This results in problems for all relay servers. If you want to get a quick and dirty radio stream, head directly to the main radio server's Icecast page: http://62.65.107.19:8000/

Friggin Lord Elrond!

ljmabr
Parolee (Level 2)
79 XP

So, that's it? The end of Radio Rivendell on Winamp?

Arclayn
Freeman (Level 6)
457 XP

Posted by ljmabr@gmail.comSo, that's it? The end of Radio Rivendell on Winamp?

The directions I gave above, for media players (such as iTunes and VLC), also work just fine in Winamp.

Posted by ElrondThere have been problems with my internet connection to the main server the last week, so it could also be due to that. This results in problems for all relay servers.

There have been some spotty outages that Elrond is clearly attributing to his Internet connection -- but that has nothing to do with Winamp.

Although ever since Radio Rivendell had to switch from Shoutcast to Icecast broadcasting software (about a year ago, I think), it probably no longer shows up in Winamp's built in shoutcast search.

"What if everything you see is more than what you see — the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it is really a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." — Shigeru Miyamoto

Elrond
Living Legend (Level 32)
41542 XP

You can tune in using Winamp, but since we're not on Shoutcast we don't automatically list in their directory. But this could perhaps be fixed, if someone just directs me to some page that shows how to do it

You can use the links here to directly find our streams: https://www.radiorivendell.com/page/listen/

Friggin Lord Elrond!

Arclayn
Freeman (Level 6)
457 XP

Posted by ElrondYou can tune in using Winamp, but since we're not on Shoutcast we don't automatically list in their directory. But this could perhaps be fixed, if someone just directs me to some page that shows how to do it You can use the links here to directly find our streams: https://www.radiorivendell.com/page/listen/

VLC has an Icecast directory, but I don't see Radio Rivendell listed. Maybe this doc might help?

https://djgarybaldy.co.uk/how-to-get-listed-on-icecast/

And there is a short blurb on the Shoutcast wiki regarding icecast listing.

http://wiki.shoutcast.com/wiki/SHOUTcast_Listing_Requirements

Zexetor1
Militia (Level 11)
1898 XP

I have been trying to get my player going for months - idk if it's at my end, or at yours...I am going through Rivendell withdrawal (btw, happy belated birthday, Elrond!)

THE VOICES ARE BACK........................excellent

Arclayn
Freeman (Level 6)
457 XP

Posted by Zexetor1I have been trying to get my player going for months - idk if it's at my end, or at yours...I am going through Rivendell withdrawal (btw, happy belated birthday, Elrond!)

Ohhh... Rivendell Withdrawal... That's rough.

Things have been working pretty good for me with iTunes/Mac and Winamp/Windows as of late. What player are you trying to use?

Sméagol – The sponsor monster

These ads shown here are to sponsor Radio Rivendell

Khazar-Khum
Guard (Level 14)
3987 XP

The 'Currently Playing" and "Last Played" lists have not updated in several hours. Thought you'd like to know!