After The Fall - a forum RPG

Go to page: 12348Next
Forum » Roleplaying » After The Fall - a forum RPG

Sméagol – The sponsor monster

These ads shown here are to sponsor Radio Rivendell

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2192 XP

"Heal you? Med ... issin?" The person suddenly said. "You air no? Me give." While still pointing at the cliff with a slightly frustrated look on her face.

"Games are an interesting diversion from everyday life. Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company, you don't even mind you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game." Gary Gygax

Sapient
Soldier (Level 12)
2268 XP

"Fire? I don't know if I like the sound of that," Vee said, shaking his head. Still, he was soaking wet. It probably wouldn't be easy to burn him at this point.

"You don't want to cook me," he says. "I don't taste good at all. And you can't eat my friends either!"

Ioanna
Master (Level 23)
15937 XP

"Why is she pointing at the cliff?" Nelja asked.

"Yes me air! See, she knows. She must be better in another language." Nelja gets up, shakes the sand of her dress, straightens her hair a bit...

"I was taught many skills by my master...if she ever needed to trade anything... well let's see " she clears her throught a bit and says in Common

"You wouldn't happen to speak the chatter, would you?"

I have a banning whip and I 'm not afraid to use it! *I am bluffing*

jewellersapprentice.wordpress.com

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2192 XP

A slight change in the expression of the foreign female, from frustrated to relieved, happens and replying in Chatter, she says to the frail lass in front of her: "So you know the trade tongue." Looking at the Soulforged, she continues: "All of you?"

"Games are an interesting diversion from everyday life. Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company, you don't even mind you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game." Gary Gygax

Sapient
Soldier (Level 12)
2268 XP

Posted by WerwolfA slight change in the expression of the foreign female, from frustrated to relieved, happens and replying in Chatter, she says to the frail lass in front of her: "So you know the trade tongue." Looking at the Soulforged, she continues: "All of you?"

"Yes, why do you ask?" Vee responds easily in the trade speech, "I have had a lot of time to study my letters, at the monastary. I've also got some ink and parchment if you need me to write a letter for you." This conversation just gets curiouser and curiouser, Vee thinks to himself.

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2192 XP

Relaxing a bit, this tough as well as nice looking female faces the metallic humanoid and speaks in a low, almost growling voice: "You maybe taste well enough to a creature I haven't met yet and I could cook all of you ... (squinting at Nelja) or eat you."

Then, with her voice more at ease and to all three: "Both aren't things I'd like to do."

Slowly she takes her hand off the talisman and with an unexpected soft, gentle voice and almost smiling she says to Nelja: "I pointed to cliff, because there is my campfire, where you could dry."

Ioanna
Master (Level 23)
15937 XP

Reluctant at first Nelja takes the first step towards the campfire.

"Well then we should all go there! I hope you won't try to eat us, I propably taste awfull you know" and smiles...

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

The soulforged on the ground gestures at where its lower half ought to be and says in reluctant Chatter, "Help would be good. Name is Vimess. Nice to meet."

A committed user and abuser of roleplaying games. Based in Oulu, Finland.

Sapient
Soldier (Level 12)
2268 XP

Posted by MuadMouseThe soulforged on the ground gestures at where its lower half ought to be and says in reluctant Chatter, "Help would be good. Name is Vimess. Nice to meet."

"Sorry, Vimess. I haven't forgotten you," says Vee. He easily but carefully lifts the wounded soulforged, giving a hint of his strength. As they approach the campfire, Vee plods forward steadily, but still keeps his eyes on the tusked one. Despite her reassurances, the nature of her... joke... didn't exactly put him at ease. "So, you know my name, but I'm afraid I don't know yours?" Vee asks her. "Or... yours." his head swivels to look at Nelja inquisitively. "Tell me something about those strange markings you wear. Is it some ancient language?"

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2192 XP

After picking up the shoulder bag and giving the remaining clouds of smoke and ashes a last look over her shoulder, the driest of the four turns around, sighs and leads the others along the narrow, serpentine path away from the beach. Hoping, that her duty as witness is fulfilled.

Posted by Sapient"So, you know my name, but I'm afraid I don't know yours?" Vee asks her.

Without turning around, the person in front of him replies: "And what of the things you said to me was your name? I don't know half of those words. My people don't have much use for this tongue."

As they approach the upper end of the path, the dripping trio spots close behind the Weatherfingers a very well build campfire, a number of items and a horse.

Ioanna
Master (Level 23)
15937 XP

"Subject Numbe... I mean... Nelja... Yes Nelja" Says and smiles as they approach the campfire takes a sit fairly away from the campfire and stares at the horse....

"Fire makes the air go up, I 'll be fine here..." immediately when she says that she starts examining herself.... Takes a look at the runes and seems relieved (they are all at their place for now), stretches her fingers, touches her legs and toes.

"My master makes them" she says to her new friend... "you asked me a while ago, right? that's all I know and all I have left from him"

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

Vimess looks around at its company and utters in its halting Chatter, "Not be rude... sun is warm, sun dries. Water not a problem. Me missing parts a problem. Damage of Vee a problem." At this, Vee hears the unpleasant creaks and groans his body makes with every move, and knows that he'll need the help of a competent smith or he'll start suffering from increasingly severe malfunctions within days.

Vimess points out with its stump southwards at the chimney-smoke rising from the port city that lay there. "Greenwater Cove has help."

Turning to Nelja, the crippled soulforged adds in Islish, "Miss, there is the possibility your master managed to escape before... the destruction... and in that case I'm sure he would seek refuge in the city. I understand many of the members of Velhohovi had dealings with, let us say enterprising individuals operating from there."

Vimess' distaste at switching back to Chatter is apparent - many people consider Islish a superior language, especially when compared to the 'mongrel' Chatter - but so is the eagerness to be polite. "Smiths. Craftsmen. Friends," it says, again indicating south.

There is a clear, well-worn path to Greenwater Cove. The path slopes down gently from the cliffs, and the trip shouldn't take much more than an hour at a brisk walk.

What do you do?

Sapient
Soldier (Level 12)
2268 XP

"Forgive me, I'll stick to trade-speak for now," Vee says, bowing his head low to the tall, dark female. He rises slowly, then looks deeply into he eyes getting a good look at her face for the first time. His own eyes glow dully with the pale green light of his trapped soul. "Vee. That is my name. I am in training as a priest. Know you of the goddess Saint Martha, or Armo, or..." Vee looks back in the direction of the devastated city, ".. Kosto?" he asks.

Vee stretches his left arm and leg, just to test the damage. The normally smooth whirring motion is replaced by audible straining and scratching of metal against wood. "That fall was worse than I realized," he admitted. He nods to Vimess, in agreement with the other soulforged; clearly they are both going to need patching up.

"Nel-- ja," Vee pronounces the name thoughtfully, "That sounds beautiful. It's almost like... butterflies in the moonlight! I do hope we can be friends."

Ioanna
Master (Level 23)
15937 XP

Nelja smiles at him "Butterflies... How nice of you Vee. I do hope we can be friends too!!"

She shakes her head a bit "I almost forgot it... You said my master could be there, right?" says and looks at the damaged soulforged.

"I must go there.... but how.... I might not survive the night.." her eyes look watery again...

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

Suddenly, Gustheight Rock reminds you why it’s named that when the campfire flickers and a violent wind threatens to sweep Nelja off her feet - she is spared only at the last moment by her quickly taking cover behind Vee’s bulk.

The Blackorc doesn’t seem to notice. She is sitting in front of the fire and staring at the furiously spinning flames entranced, her lips forming words that no one can hear before the wind catches each utterance and carries it away.

“Well, she seems rather grounded, wouldn’t you say,” Vimess says in Islish with perhaps a hint of snideness. “Let us, however, depart before we get tossed into the sea again.”

The wind pushes firmly on your backs as you head south down the path, making the going easy down the sunny path toward the city. As you gain distance from Gustheight Rock, the stark rock of the Weatherfingers makes way for increasing tropical vegetation. In less than an hour you have reached the ridge overlooking Greenwater Cove.

The city of Greenwater Cove is built along the banks of a circular bay about a 500 meters across and up the surrounding slopes. It has no walls, trusting rather the high ridges encircling it to protect them. On top of the ridge to the southwest stands the fortified, brightly decorated manor of the Lord Mayor. Right below it are the mansions of the rich and powerful merchants that have made the city what it is today, and downslope live the teeming masses who give the city the lively nature it is known for. Over a thousand homes cling to the green slopes of the cove.

The cove is very verdant, with tropical plant life making every open place a hodge-podge garden. From up here you can clearly see the prodigious growth of bright green seaweed along the north and south edges of the bay. Across the middle there is an aggressively harvested lane broad enough for any ship small enough to enter the bay to make it to the busy harbour without getting their rudders tangled up in the notoriously tough seaweed.

Now, however, the bay is full of ships and boats colliding with each other. The cove is in chaos as over a dozen refugee ships from Taikasaari have pushed back weedtender rafts and some merchant ships apparently trying to head for the sea. Fighting has broken out between one merchantman and two refugee sailing ships, one of which has a burning sail.

The city itself seems to be more in shock than anything else. Greenwater Cove owes its fortunes to its proximity to the wondrous Taikasaari, the Isle of Magic which they thought eternal and all-powerful. And now they were being told of the island’s annihilation. It is not strange to see then, that the city’s many small temples are teeming with people, their prayers and supplications a contrasting murmur to the unrest on the waters.

Greenwater Cove is known for its merry, freewheeling nature and fondness for earthly pleasures. It is said that in this city you can find any service you can imagine - and thanks to traffic with Taikasaari, some you never thought possible.

What do you do?

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2192 XP

Apart from the unequal length of her tusks and the impression that she has always lived in the wilderness, Vee spotted something else in her eyes while looking in her face. It reminded him of a dog standing suddenly in front of a dead fish which has been very ill. This continues to pop up in his mind.

Posted by Sapient"Vee. That is my name. I am in training as a priest. Know you of the goddess Saint Martha, or Armo, or..." Vee looks back in the direction of the devastated city, ".. Kosto?"

The wilderness female sat down close to the tired looking horse, squinting curious at Nelja's runes and spoke to Vee: "I not know any of them, exept the names. Kosto, he ... was send to do this ...?" and nodded at the remains of Taikasaari.

Posted by Sapient"That fall was worse than I realized."

The black female suddenly said: "My people don't easy tell someone their names." She then added with a trailing mind and her gaze at the sky where the three moons were some time ago, "but since ... you gave me part ... of your names ... call me Arteschka ... for now ."

Vee, Vimess and Nelja all got the impression, that their newest acquaintance has always something more to say but either forgets to or doesn't want to tell them. This assumption was strengthened as she sits down at the campfire, facing the former location of Taikasaari, staring into the fire.

Sapient
Soldier (Level 12)
2268 XP

"Ooooh," Vee says, enjoying the simple charm and beauty of this cove city. "This must be a wonderful place to live. And there are so many interesting people." His eyes linger a while on the rows of homes for residents of differing wealth.

Vee stops to bow and greet a few men who are strolling in their direction, creaking slightly as he does so. "May the blessings of Saint Martha be upon you," he says. "We-- that is, this other Soulforged as well as myself-- have need of some repairs. Is there a tinker nearby?"

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

The two portly middle-aged men - natives to these parts, judging by their brown skin, auburn hair and garish clothes - stop their heated debate and look up at Vee a bit befuddled.

“Saint Martha?” asks the somewhat drunk man with the fat moustache and a confused look on his face.

His companion with the sideburns - who is more merry than confused in his drunkenness - gives him a friendly slap on the back of his head and says, “No, Orn, he was asking for a tinker, you dolt!” He looks at the two soulforged appraisingly and adds, “And looks like you really could need one. Well, Bregour is the one to see; he’s mad smart with your lot! Just take a right onto Crescent Street, and follow that ‘til Craftsman’s Lane, go upslope and you can’t miss it. Just look for a brass cog the size of a cartwheel.” His moustachioed friend nods enthusiastically.

“Now if you’ll excuse us,” the one with the sideburns says a bit hurriedly, “we have an important bet to settle!” As they shuffle away, you can just hear the bearded fellow insist, “You’ve been on dreamjuice again, Pern, the Beacon can’t fall!”

Vimess stirs in Vee’s arms. “I’ve heard of this Master Bregour!” he exclaims. “I understand he once worked for one of the Arcane Colleges on Taikasaari, but fell out favour and left. A capable artificer, but said to be somewhat unscrupulous.” He sighs and adds, “The best we can hope for, I suppose.”

As you follow the portly pairs’ directions, you are quickly enveloped in the hive of activity that is Greenwater Cove. Some people are running towards the shore to see the clashing ships, some are scampering upslope to see if the rumours of Taikasaari’s fall are true, some are wailing in despair, but many more are preparing to sell things to the refugees. The bazaar that is Crescent Street is full of carts and bearers being stacked high with merchandise to offer at the docks. All this excitement of course in no way detains the sellers from hawking their wares to you, too.

Having waded your way through Crescent Street - with whatever weird and wonderful purchases you may have acquired along the way - you find it terminating in what must be Craftsman’s Lane; this well-cobbled street is flanked by workshops of all varieties. From here you can already see a big brass cog gracing the side of a large, solid-looking stone building. As you come nearer, the sound of metal being worked by many hands is clear to hear.

Suddenly, a youth in a leather apron bursts out the door, followed by a flying oil-heavy rag. The youth dashes past you nimbly and continues down the slope. An aging dwarf appears in the doorway and proves his lungs are in fine condition when he bellows after the apprentice “And make sure it’s black dendan oil this time, you twit!”

After a routine bit of grumbling about his apprentice having quicker legs than brains, the dwarf notices you and lifts a brow already encrusted with the rock of age. and bearing a an intricate set of various magnifying glasses. “Well, aren’t you two a right mess,” he says in gravelly Islish as he brushes something off his smith’s apron with rough-skinned hands. He heads back in, beckoning you to follow, almost-shouting “It’d be a shame to see good work go to waste! Come on in!”

Vimess peels the oily rag from his chest but doesn’t quite seem to know what to do with, and so decides to hold it like a soiled handkerchief. “Yes,” he says a bit unenthusiastically, “that would be Master Artificer Bregour.”

Inside, you see a dozen workbenches with apprentice and journeyman artificers of all descriptions tinkering away over them. Bregour grabs a heavy listening horn from a bench and puts it to his ear. “So, what’s the matter with you?" he yells over the din. “You’ll have to speak up, my hearing’s not what it used to be!”

What do you do?

Ioanna
Master (Level 23)
15937 XP

Like a moth to a flame Nelja is mesmerized by the hectic and merry life of the city. With her eyes wide open as if she would take in more of the city she follows her two new friends. She seems to have forgotten her master, the city that she left behind... the runes on her body that start to fade...

It's clear that the dwarf just noticed her when they all went into his workplace. Her two slim legs would barely be seen behind Vee....

"Um, you wouldn't happen to see my master?" says and her head sticks out next to Vee...

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2192 XP

Meanwhile at the Weatherfingers, Arteschka is still uncertain if she is free to return home, thinking: "But why did I meet the girl and those other things ...? It could be, that I was supposed to meet actual eye ... or rather body witnesses ..."

After some deliberations she decides that, if she has to meet witnesses, Greenwater Cove would be ideal in any way. She gathers her belongings, thanks the Weatherfingers for shelter with a prayer and sets off towards the harbor city having a small meal in the saddle.

"Hmm, another place where one has to have money to barter. I hope there are some people, who are sensible enough to accept my services as a trading good ..." She thinks to herself before entering the city. "... and I need to practice this ... this Chatter."