New forum fantasy RPG campaign?

Go to page: 12345Next
Forum » Out of Character Discussions » New forum fantasy RPG campaign?

Sméagol – The sponsor monster

These ads shown here are to sponsor Radio Rivendell

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

That sounds good, Ioanna. I can see how you'd end up with a Soulforged acolyte of the god of compassion. How long has it been since you became free?

Does the air-kins' power to turn into air extend outside their own bodies? If so, what are the known limitations (size, weight, material)?

If you're going with the element talisman idea Werwolf suggested, how about if your ability to affect things with your power was influenced by the elemental affinities of items? For example feathers being easier than gems (not including pearls, which are of water, not earth).

I love what you've done with the name, by the way! My placeholder name "air-kin" was rather bland, but by adding the 's' to the plural it sounds a lot more like what alchemists would call their test subjects: "air-kins", suggesting dolls made of air (as in 'manikins'). Nice and dehumanizing!

A committed user and abuser of roleplaying games. Based in Oulu, Finland.

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

I've had some thoughts about this Atlantis-equivalent that seems to crop up in character backgrounds. I'm intrigued by the idea of having its destruction be a fairly recent event, no more than 20 years ago (or perhaps so recently that the ashes are still warm). The reason for its annihilation was overt divine retribution. They did something so bad that the gods (at least many of them) decided to wipe it off the face of the earth as a warning to everyone else. This might well have been due to their experiments. Whatever it was, it was bad enough to bring down the fiery wrath of Kosto, the god of righteous vengeance, on the palaces and bastions of the great, and for Armo, his merciful twin to have the seas swell up and swallow what was left. Nothing of a similar scale has happened for centuries, if ever.

Since being an outsider seems to be quite central to at least two out of three characters, having the rest of the world be hesitant to deal with the fruits of "Atlantean" research.

Opinions?

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2192 XP

Depending on what (and at which speed) impacted, the ground could still be warm ... after 20 years ...

I like this background layer. It leaves a multitude of possibilities for adventures and social interactions.

I think we definetly should find different names for the world and the destroyed island. That way we can put more of our ideas in the game, instead of relying on established names, which could be misunderstood. Especially in the case of descriptions.

My point for the larger picture is, that it could lead to problems if one of us means one thing but someone else thinks of something different, that happens to have the same or a similar name (like drug as in medicine or as in addictive poison).

Example: An arcane spell named Magic Missile.

Is it a spell that conjures some small energy bolts, that damage one creature (as in D&D). Or is it a spell capable of penetrating a three-foot-thick drawbridge and still detonate in an explosion with a diameter of several dozen yards but leaving glass & pottery intact?

"Games are an interesting diversion from everyday life. Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company, you don't even mind you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game." Gary Gygax

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

Posted by WerwolfI think we definetly should find different names for the world and the destroyed island. That way we can put more of our ideas in the game, instead of relying on established names, which could be misunderstood. Especially in the case of descriptions.My point for the larger picture is, that it could lead to problems if one of us means one thing but someone else thinks of something different, that happens to have the same or a similar name (like drug as in medicine or as in addictive poison).Example: An arcane spell named Magic Missile.Is it a spell that conjures some small energy bolts, that damage one creature (as in D&D). Or is it a spell capable of penetrating a three-foot-thick drawbridge and still detonate in an explosion with a diameter of several dozen yards but leaving glass & pottery intact?

Yes, exactly. I've run into this problem before, and it has to be nipped in the bud or it can lead to serious distortions in the way people see the world down the line (example: in a Warhammer 40k campaign one player didn't want a bolt gun because he thought it was a power tool, and not a rifle-sized burst fire mini-rocket launcher).

In this game all fantastical elements will be described explicitly when they are first encountered - otherwise their names are mere cultural references. If anyone sees something non-mundane named and not described, this OOC thread is the place to point it out.

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

We now have a campaign wiki! I encourage everyone to join up so that we can put up all the bits and pieces there for easy reference and modification (without my having to shoulder the whole burden). To get an invitation to the campaign, make an Obsidian Portal account and contact me through there, or just PM me your email address via Radio Rivendell.

Obsidian Portal membership is completely free and harmless - no expenses, no ads, you don't even have to subscribe to their newsletter.

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

I'm at the Ropecon 2014 gaming convention (or traveling there and back again) from Friday to Sunday. I'm going to stay up to date about this thread with the power of smartphone, but won't be able to contribute much until Monday, so if you'd like more than a few lines of feedback on your ideas from me, post them by 19:00 UTC tonight.

Ioanna
Master (Level 23)
15937 XP

Lucky Lucky people... we will never have any gaming convention in this freakin country!

By the way I just signed in to the Obsidian portal and I am super excited!!!

By the end of the day I will give more shape to my character...

I have a banning whip and I 'm not afraid to use it! *I am bluffing*

jewellersapprentice.wordpress.com

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

Posted by IoannaLucky Lucky people... we will never have any gaming convention in this freakin country!

Lucky indeed: we have about half a dozen gaming events per year. The scale of some of these isn't more than a few hundred people, but what can you expect from a country this sparsely populated? The quality is always excellent, regardless of size.

By the way I just signed in to the Obsidian portal and I am super excited!!!

Dig right in!

By the end of the day I will give more shape to my character...

On a related note, we'll need to name our Atlantis-like realm soon.

At present I'm considering the name Taikasaari ('Island of Magic' in the Ancient Tongue that named the gods), renamed Godwrack after its destruction.

Ioanna
Master (Level 23)
15937 XP

Posted by MuadMouseOn a related note, we'll need to name our Atlantis-like realm soon.At present I'm considering the name Taikasaari ('Island of Magic' in the Ancient Tongue that named the gods), renamed Godwrack after its destruction.

I love it!

I have always loved the way Finnish sound and I don't know why....

We also need to decide when to place the game. I think 10 years are too many. What were we doing for ten years??

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

Posted by IoannaI love it!I have always loved the way Finnish sound and I don't know why....

A lot of people seem to like the long vowels.

We also need to decide when to place the game. I think 10 years are too many. What were we doing for ten years??

I'm fine with starting the game even when the gods are still rampaging through the streets, with your characters in the middle of it. Might actually make for a pretty explosive start to the campaign!

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2192 XP

Posted by IoannaWe also need to decide when to place the game. I think 10 years are too many. What were we doing for ten years??

Depending on the emotional complexity of a character it can take 10 or even more years to process the fact, that the continent, which you considered home (or at least birthplace) was annihilated. Of course, one can hardly walk around doing nothing else than mope and mourn for that long.

Edit: I think we need a calendar, if we want to use something other than the 365,24219 day cycle of earth.

"Games are an interesting diversion from everyday life. Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company, you don't even mind you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game." Gary Gygax

Ioanna
Master (Level 23)
15937 XP

Posted by MuadMouseI'm fine with starting the game even when the gods are still rampaging through the streets, with your characters in the middle of it. Might actually make for a pretty explosive start to the campaign!

Hahahaa! At the very first scene we would run for our lives... Please Please no gods rampaging on the first scene..

Maybe rampaging out in the distance when we are on a boat, off to someplace else..

@Werwolf: yeah if we played ten years after the event we should write the story up to this date.

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

Okay, everyone's signed up to the wiki and should be able to add to and modify it.

When creating a wiki page, remember to add a link to it in the Wiki Index so it'll be easy for everyone to find in the future.

I naturally reserve the right to edit any wiki page to keep the world as cohesive as possible. If I make any changes beyond clarifying the language or adding detail I'll notify the authors of that page.

I've made a few entries on the gods of the world, as well as named the world.

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2192 XP

By the way. One of the creators of the Titans-RPG http://titans-rollenspiel.de/doku.php?id=regeln:einleitung, that I've been mentioning, joined us on obsidianportal.

The Titans homepage is in german but he and I will gladly answer any questions that you have about the system.

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

Posted by WerwolfI think we need a calendar, if we want to use something other than the 365,24219 day cycle of earth.

Agreed. To keep things simple, I advocate a year of twelve months, each month 28 days long, for a total of 336 days. That way we avoid any confusion about everyday units of time. Astrologers, alchemists, and such have divided the day in the same way we have; most people, however, are unlikely to need anything beyond "dawn", "noon", "dusk", and "night".

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2192 XP

... and we'd keep it close enough to the gregorian calendar system, so that we don't need to rethink completly.

I'm fine with it.

Ioanna
Master (Level 23)
15937 XP

Alrighty!

I will start editing the page about air-kins and eventually my character. Since I will be needing my set of keyword abilities do you have any suggestions or any cool names?

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

"Air form", "Magical test subject" and "Innocent of the ways of the world" are the first keywords to spring to mind.

What kind of a name were you thinking about? And who named you in the first place? If it was the alchemists, they might just have given you a number in the Ancient Tongue.

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2192 XP

MuadMouse, where would you set the minimum and maximum for those key phrases?

Ioanna
Master (Level 23)
15937 XP

Posted by MuadMouse"Air form", "Magical test subject" and "Innocent of the ways of the world" are the first keywords to spring to mind.What kind of a name were you thinking about? And who named you in the first place? If it was the alchemists, they might just have given you a number in the Ancient Tongue.

That was just my thinking!!!! I would have a name as a child and a number as a test subject. So in a way I would be "trained" if not "brainwashed" to address to myself as "Subject number 5" for example or just "five". I bet it sounds better in ancient tongue!!! I could find a name for my childhood years too.

Posted by WerwolfBy the way. One of the creators of the Titans-RPG http://titans-rollenspiel.de/doku.php?id=regeln:einleitung, that I've been mentioning, joined us on obsidianportal.The Titans homepage is in german but he and I will gladly answer any questions that you have about the system.

Deutsche Sprache, schwere Sprache...