New forum fantasy RPG campaign?

Go to page: 12345Next
Forum » Out of Character Discussions » New forum fantasy RPG campaign?

Sméagol – The sponsor monster

These ads shown here are to sponsor Radio Rivendell

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

Sounds great! Everyone's characters are ones I'd never have thought to accommodate if I'd just cooked up a setting by myself. =) I'd like to note, however, that I'd like to avoid the term "scientist" (same with "science" because it implies that there are absolute laws to the way the world works, as opposed to being subject to divine intervention. I'd prefer "alchemist".

The high dependence between your two characters intrigues me as well, and I can already see stuff I could do with it. Now we just need to integrate Sapient's Soulforged into this dynamic. Another product of "Atlantis" (we'll have to name that, by the way), perhaps?

A committed user and abuser of roleplaying games. Based in Oulu, Finland.

Ioanna
Master (Level 23)
15932 XP

Posted by MuadMouseSounds great! Everyone's characters are ones I'd never have thought to accommodate if I'd just cooked up a setting by myself. =) I'd like to note, however, that I'd like to avoid the term "scientist" (same with "science" because it implies that there are absolute laws to the way the world works, as opposed to being subject to divine intervention. I'd prefer "alchemist".The high dependence between your two characters intrigues me as well, and I can already see stuff I could do with it. Now we just need to integrate Sapient's Soulforged into this dynamic. Another product of "Atlantis" (we'll have to name that, by the way), perhaps?

Off course!! He was made by an alchemist in a diferent deparment than I was, a freakin crazy alchemist....

I have a banning whip and I 'm not afraid to use it! *I am bluffing*

jewellersapprentice.wordpress.com

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2192 XP

I don't want to discourge anyone from their ideas. But I'd like to note, that the list of species I'd pick from is sorted by preference. So the chance that I pick the "element-controllers" was about 10%. It has risen to position 4 (which is about 15%) after reading your idea, Ioanna.

I will definetly work with all of you on both concepts ("element-controllers" and "element-people" ), if there is interest in implementing one or both species.

"Games are an interesting diversion from everyday life. Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company, you don't even mind you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game." Gary Gygax

Ioanna
Master (Level 23)
15932 XP

No problem Werwolf!

Since we have a good base to work on I could always switch to another element or make the character less frail, that way we could make her less dependable.

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

Posted by IoannaSince we have a good base to work on I could always switch to another element or make the character less frail, that way we could make her less dependable.

Yep, I don't think this will be a problem. If we end up with a need for for a non-PC "wielder" for Ioanna's character we can make that an NPC or consider him/her/it an extension of Ioanna's character, much like a familiar, mount or henchman.

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2192 XP

Posted by Ioanna... I could always switch to another element or make the character less frail, that way we could make her less dependable.

Posted by MuadMouse... a non-PC "wielder" for Ioanna's character we can make that an NPC or consider him/her/it an extension of Ioanna's character, much like a familiar, mount or henchman.

I remembered something rather silly but eventually usable.

Have either of you heard of Weretulips? Lycantrophs with the "beast"-form of a tulip, which have to carry a pot with soil in it, so that they, if changing into their plant-form, have a place in which they could "save themself / reside / wait for a guard to walk by".

From this, the following idea appeared in my mind.

How about the "element-person" would be less frail than the air-guys from Naruto but on certain conditions or occasions they'd simply lose control of their cohesion and their "energetic form" would have to find refuge in an object that symbolizes that element, like

- a piece of stone or a raw gem for earth; the toughest kinds of soil

- a piece of coal or a hot fruit (like a habanero) for fire; both can or do carry great heat

- a blossom or a pearl for water; blossoms stir emotions and emotions are a watery thing

- a piece of olibanum resin (frankincense) or a feather for air; less silly than a lamp and more tangible than a breath

"Games are an interesting diversion from everyday life. Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company, you don't even mind you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game." Gary Gygax

Sapient
Soldier (Level 12)
2268 XP

I had never heard of Weretulips. You guys are on a roll with the creativity though. I like the different concepts you are coming up with.

Speaking of the missing orphans of Atlantis, that was one of the concepts I had for my Soulforged character. He feels very protective of children and has curiosity about thing related to children's games and toys because of his origin. And yeah I was definitely thinking of Edward Elric when I came up with my character, so you got me there.

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2192 XP

Posted by SapientI had never heard of Weretulips. You guys are on a roll with the creativity though. I like the different concepts you are coming up with.

Well, the Weretulip wasn't my idea. I just remembered a conversation I had some years ago.

The rest is a destillation from some other things I know.

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

Werwolf: Gotta love those weretulips! Some game, some time (perhaps this one), I'm going to use both the original weretulip idea and those element talismans you derived from it.

Ioanna: Werwolf's talismans got me to thinking about 'ritual dependence' for your character: basically a need to perform magical rituals at regular intervals in order to remain corporeal. The ingredients and/or parameters for the ritual might be fairly exotic (e.g. take a feather that has never touched the ground and bury it under earth that has never seen the sun). Perhaps there's rumoured to be a ritual that could stabilize your character permanently?

Sapient: Looks like your character creation is proceeding nicely. I admit to having a soft spot for 'gentle giant' characters. You seem to have a good idea about what your Soulforged is like; now, what does he do? Strengths, weaknesses?

Keep the ideas coming! =)

Sapient
Soldier (Level 12)
2268 XP

Posted by MuadMousenow, what does he do? Strengths, weaknesses?

I'm thinking he's an apprentice cleric. Someone with very little natural affinity for divine magic, but a lot of perseverance and determination. Although he is physically very powerful, once having worked in the circus as a strong man performer, he would never use his strength towards violence. Most attackers would just wear themselves out trying to harm him, though.

Strengths: nearly impervious to physical blows, can perform feats of strength like lifting wagons over his head

Weaknesses: pacifist, very little magical aptitude

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

Posted by SapientI'm thinking he's an apprentice cleric.

What kind of deity does he follow? What sorts of priestly powers does he have? Having difficulty channelling divine power, does he suffer from a smaller variety of powers, do they manifest in a weaker form, or are they unreliable?

Strengths: nearly impervious to physical blows, can perform feats of strength like lifting wagons over his headWeaknesses: pacifist, very little magical aptitude

As long as you don't get into fights with people who have experience fighting heavily armoured opponents you should be fairly safe (but watch out for that grinning mercenary with a lucern hammer...).

How does a Soulforged's body react to extreme heat, cold, etc? How is the body repaired and maintained?

Sapient
Soldier (Level 12)
2268 XP

Posted by MuadMouseWhat kind of deity does he follow? What sorts of priestly powers does he have? Having difficulty channelling divine power, does he suffer from a smaller variety of powers, do they manifest in a weaker form, or are they unreliable?

Well, I suppose I get to make this part up as well? How about Saint Martha, a neutral good deity of compassion and harmony whose holy symbol is a silver hairpin or harp.

My soulforged cleric is slow to learn, after many years achieving only the lowest level spells (basically the entire list of 0-level cleric spells for a d20 game), and his attempts to channel the divine magic have a percentage chance of failure . His best spell is one that heals minor wounds and stops bleeding. He also has a mending spell for healing broken objects, which is also comes in handy for binding himself up.

The body of a Warforged is a mix of metal and organic materials (iron, silver, stone, darkwood, and obsidian)-- same basic concept for the Soulforged. Elemental damage such as extreme heat can harm them, and if their metal becomes too hot it will continually damage the surrounding organic material. Having said that, they can take a lot of damage, even when they are being damaged continually! Some other things that afflict humans they are completely invulnerable to: like poison, disease, fatigue, and sleep. Unlike the Warforged, ice and cold aren't particularly harmful to the Soulforged, other than causing them to move slower. However the Soulforged can be stunned or incapacitated by spells that affect the undead, as it targets their control core (that's a particularly nasty vulnerability I suppose).

Other than mending spells, the only other way to heal a Soulforged is by some skillful person taking the time to repair it. So their ability to soak up all that damage becomes a delayed expense... eventually he would have to visit the repairs shop and pay to be bent back into shape.

The magic of the soulforged allows it to go on almost indefinitely, but they will wear down slowly over time if not repaired, or they get smashed so badly that no one can reassemble them.

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

I actually have a similar god in mind, one that I wrote up for the Shadows from the Mountains forum game and am going to use in this one as well: Armo, god of mercy and one of The Twins (the link leads to the Shadows from the Mountains wiki). I have absolutely no problem with multiple gods representing more or less the same things, so feel free to go with St. Martha if you like.

In my games I like to always have a chance of failure (and of unexpected degree of success), but your character will have a harder time at it - your spells are more likely to fizzle or you'll have to spend more time and/or effort.

Here's my suggestion for how your recovery from harm would scale. Our equivalent of the D&D 0-level mending spell would probably be the equivalent of a bandage on a bleeding human - keeps you together but leaves a weak spot; an average town smith could fix any non-moving parts; for complete recovery or for fixing moving parts you'd need a master artificer or some fairly formidable magic (equivalent to D&D level 5-6). On the bright side, a master artificer could also make improvements. How does that sound?

Since a Soulforged's animating force is an imported soul, I'd say they are all effectively undead. Of course, since they have no flesh and have minds beyond that necromantic spark, they wouldn't carry quite the same social stigma as proper undead, and that "stunned or incapacitated" would be an appropriate limit to how much they can be influenced - unless of course the will behind that influence is especially strong...

I think it would be appropriate for the Soulforged to suffer mental fatigue, even though their bodies never tire. I like to keep body and soul separate because it makes magic and other fantastic things more manageable. As you exert yourself mentally, it's the soul that pays the price and will start to eventually fray at the edges, or even unravel completely. Any thoughts?

Ioanna
Master (Level 23)
15932 XP

@ werewolf: I laughted so hard with the weretulips!!!

But the main concept is something we can use, a less frail person that under some conditions should take refuge or rest in a specific "item".

@ MuadMouse: I had the same thought about a ritual that is rumoured to take away the side effects. Maybe after the blast we found a parchment with instuctions to a potion and a ritual. Or an alchemist's diary discribing a moment of clarity in which he found out a way to lessen the element part on the "subjects"....

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

Ioanna, looks like your base concept is pretty solid. I'd still like to hear about what these air-kin (for lack of a better term) can do with their powers. A couple of examples that illustrate the extremes of what they can do would be enough at this stage. I'm also curious about the character's personality, interests and skills.

Werwolf, how does it look on your end? It almost seems like you've been so busy helping others out that you've neglected your own character.

Werwolf
Soldier (Level 12)
2192 XP

@MuadMouse: Have you decided which system we're going to use? I have some trouble settling on a character concept and sometimes it helps me, when I'm more familiar with the rules about character creation, if I have this kind of problem.

The progress I've made so far is, that I narrowed this list of mine down to:

- a female Blackorc from Titans (kind of a shaman or battlefield-healer; reference for character: Ayla from the Earth's Children novels)

- a male human barbarian (an abandoned but grown fighter from northern or western Lands; someone like Worf from Star Trek, only fantasy style)

- a male pak'ma'ra (perhaps psychic; reference: Babylon 5 Series)

- some insectiod (strangely I have the desire to play something like an Omu, but I think this'll be definetly too much; reference: Kaze no Tani no Naushika)

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

I'm leaning towards a Dungeon World mixed with HeroQuest. This means that each character would have a set of keywords or phrases that describe their nature and abilities. For example, Sapient's Soulforged might have something along the lines of "Body of wood and iron", "Initiate of St. Martha", "Childlike curiosity" and "Son of Forbidden Arts." When you declare a course of action I'll consider what effect - for good or ill - these features might have for the outcome and unless there's an obvious reasonable and entertaining result, I'd roll 2d6 and add modifiers for relevant features and factors on a scale from -2 to +3. If the result is 6 or less the situation turns against you somehow; 7-9 implies you get pretty much what you wanted, but at a price; 10 or more gives you exactly what you wanted (at 12+ I might well throw in something extra).

Here's an example. A big-toothed monster is about to swoop back down on the party after having set them ablaze with its fiery breath, leaving only our brave Soulforged not writhing in pain, and he declares "I cover my friends with my body and appeal to St. Martha to douse the flames." Being big and immune to pain helps when you're trying to act as a shield, so he gets +2 for "Body of wood and iron"; easing the suffering of others is something the god of compassion supports wholeheartedly, but unfortunately our Soulforged is not very good at channelling her power yet so he gets only +1 for "Initiate of St. Martha". Furthermore, he is himself burning, which makes it harder to concentrate and might endanger the others further, so that's -1, for a total modifier of 2+1+-1=2. I roll 2d6+2 and consider the result, coming up with something like this:

6 or less: before he gets a chance to aid his friends, the charging beast rends the Soulforged so that he gets a gaping hole in his back, exposing more of him to the flames.

7-9: he manages to douse the flames on his friends before hearing his back plates crack as the beast drives him into the ground

10-11: he leans over his friends, their flames die out, and the beast's teeth fail to find purchase on his steel shell.

12: St. Martha smiles upon such self-sacrifice and a nimbus of holy light envelops the party, putting out all the flames and blinding the beast long enough not to find its prey.

I don't intend to track injuries numerically, but rather describe their nature and effects (including how close these brings you to death). If a character succumbs to their injuries, I'll probably allow at least one more round of trying to keep them alive.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

MuadMouse
Captain (Level 20)
11354 XP

Posted by Werwolf- a female Blackorc from Titans (kind of a shaman or battlefield-healer; reference for character: Ayla from the Earth's Children novels)

A shaman in the 'talks with spirits' sense would be pretty neat, and would open all sorts of avenues for adventure. A healer would overlap somewhat with Sapient's Soulforged, but that's not necessarily a problem, especially if your healing differs from the 'laying on of hands' approach I imagine St. Martha would support (this is up to Sapient, though).

- a male human barbarian (an abandoned but grown fighter from northern or western Lands; someone like Worf from Star Trek, only fantasy style)

The flesh-and-bone nature of this character might make an interesting contrast to a Soulforged and a person who can turn into air.

- a male pak'ma'ra (perhaps psychic; reference: Babylon 5 Series)

"Psychic" as in "can look into people's souls" would work pretty much like the Blackorc, so no problem there; "psychic" as in "can part the veil of Time" is also ok, but get ready for some freaky stuff (I like to handle looking through time by considering the land of dreams the medium which one peeks). Either way, a pak'ma'ra-style race would make an interesting addition (and might well happen no matter what race you choose )

- some insectiod (strangely I have the desire to play something like an Omu, but I think this'll be definetly too much; reference: Kaze no Tani no Naushika)

Yeah. I'm into sandworm-like creatures as much as the next Dune fan, but I've got to draw the line somewhere! But your character can have had contact with similar creatures (especially appropriate for a shaman, perhaps as a totem animal).

Altogether nifty ideas! =)

Sapient
Soldier (Level 12)
2268 XP

Posted by MuadMouseQuestions? Comments? Suggestions?

Wow we haven't even started yet and you're already throwing me into the flames.

Sounds exciting though.

Ioanna
Master (Level 23)
15932 XP

How about this?

Air-kins are the most peculiar of all subjects. Air-kins have the ability to turn their body into air almost at will. Being able to do so makes them perfect for misions of stealth and skill. There have been reports of air-kins being able to pass under closed doors or being able to shut themselves in small spaces. After the latest experiments the subjects that managed to survive even showed the ability to maintain a state in which they wouldn't disperse or even create currents of air with their body for a short time.

As an orphan raised as a guineapig I guess the world would be something new to me. Proper food, people, socializing.... There would be times you could tell I had a rough rough time but there is air on my head so I go were the wind blows... if you catch my drift...